Learn Basic Training Commands for Your Mini Australian Shepherd
The three basic commands which you should teach your dog includes: sit, come and stay. Remember that a mini Aussie is a highly intelligent dog so it would be practically easy to train him. But you need to remember that he is still a dog, and just like other dogs, he gets motivated when he sees the possibility of getting a treat after obeying a command.
In order to succeed in training, select a place in your house where your dog does not get distracted. It would help if it is just you and your dog alone during the training. Distractions can cause delays in training.
To teach a mini Aussie to sit, hold a treat in your hand while you say the word “sit” repeatedly. When you do this, your dog looks up at the treat in your hand and when he gets frustrated not being able to reach it, he just sits down on his own. If he does not do this, try to push his rear slowly until he sits. The moment he gets down on his butt, praise him and give him the treat as his reward. When your mini Aussie constantly hears the word “sit”, it will associate it in getting praised when sitting.
Training your mini Aussie to “stay” may be the most challenging command that you will teach him. What you need to do is let your dog sit first then slowly move away from him while you repeatedly tell him to “stay”. Always look at your dog in the eye, and when your dog should stand up, say “no” then make him sit and say “stay” again. Just be patient when teaching this to your mini Aussie.
After your dog has learned the command stay, you can now teach your mini Aussie the command “come”. Say “come” in a very convincing and lovely manner while patting your knee. When your mini Aussie responds, give him a treat.
Always remember when teaching your mini Australian Shepherd these commands, never punish if it does not obey the commands. Using praise will assure you a more positive response.
Educate yourself and your family about things to expect, Social behavior and information on how to train, housebreak and how to correct any behavioral issues.
Here are some links to good useful reading when purchasing any Dog or Puppy. Check back periodically I occasionally add new links.
- Payment Information and Contracts
- Available Retired dogs
- Available puppies
- Older Available Pups and Adults
- Our Males
- Our Girls
- Tiny Dancer & Cooper 2020 Litter
- Lizzy & Memphis 2020 Litter
- Shirley & Hemi Litter 2020
- Luna & Memphis Christmas Litter 2019
- Darci & Hemi 2019 Litter
- Kiah & Magnum 2019 Litter
- CH Angel & Okie 2019 Litter
- Tikka and Okie 2019 Litter
- Shirley & Memphis 2019 Litter
- CH Sedona & Boone 2019 Litter
- Luna & Memphis 2018 Litter
- CH Angel & Magnum 2018 Litter
- Tikka & Magnum 2018 Litter
- St Patrick's Day 2018 Litter
- CH Sedona & Memphis 2018 Litter
- Shirley & Memphis 2018 SB 52
- CH Angel & Magnum 2017 Litter
- Remington & Joey 2017
- Rose & Magnum 2017 Litter
- Kiah & Joey 2017
- Shirley x Boone 2017 Litter
- Bailey & Levi 2016
- Remington & Joey 2016
- Kiah X Joey 2016
- Shirley x Boone Litter 2016
- 2015 litters Sold in 2016
- Past Dogs
- Testimonials & References